Update: Free sample here if you want to check it out before you buy.. otherwise read on..
So you started your first job in software development, or maybe you're just about to. But you have no idea what to expect. Maybe you're a bit daunted because your experience only extends to personal projects, coding boot-camps, university work and the like.
Your self-doubt runs away with you:
'Will I be good enough?'
'What is expected of me?'
'Can I contribute quickly enough?'
It's hard to know how to bridge the gap between theory and the workplace until you the experience.
This book is a 12 chapter guide that contains useful information about enterprise software development, processes, tools and practices. More than that though, it contains that will allow you to:
- Be able ask for help effectively.
- Learn how to help yourself and your tech leads.
- Get to make yourself more valuable as a team member.
- Learn how to get context on new projects.
- Understand the basics of testing automation, estimating and deployments.
- Understand the role of your build tools and the debugger.
- Understand some of the overlooked aspects of software development.
- Avoid some of the pitfalls that inexperience can bring.
- Save time up-skilling by having a curated starting point.
What others have said:
I worked closely with James on my first development project as a software engineer. James was endlessly patient and was a great teacher for someone just starting out in their tech career. This book is like his teaching - a fantastic resource for getting an intro to a range of different areas including devops, testing, IDE use and general software design, as well as teamwork skills.
I wish I'd had this guide when I first started working in tech but am very glad to have had James as a guide when I started in a new team. The tips and suggestions he made in the book all really helpful, and I know I will be using many not just as a junior but further on in my career as well.
Clear, concise, and to the point. A great resource for anyone starting their career in software development.
A 12 chapter ebook with actionable steps for you to contribute much earlier in your career.